View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #75

I think you mean statutory rape.  No there needn't be any of that.  If you're having trouble with the legal angle, I'll tell you I do my charity work in Amsterdam.  I intended for the word "prostitution" to come to mind; followed by mental prostitution of something, prostitution of the press, the protestituion of abilities, and finally the prostitution of charity.  You are right.  I'm no Jonathan Swift. ;-)

Now amusingly, constitutional rape would be when I take your money under threat of imprisonment in order to give it to the less fortunate and then ask you to call it charity.  :-P  An interesting tangent but not really situationally related to any point I'd make save one.  And that is I do know business people who operate under the same general principle of "Not yours to give" in respect and responsibilty to shareholders and partners.  Instead opting to open their own wallets in return for nothing.   I have no criticisms of them.  That's where Achaea's Gates analogy fails, because much of what Gates and his wife do falls into that realm.  The condoms they give out to Africans don't have microsoft stamped on them.  (And yeah on many levels there's some great fodder for jokes if that they did).  But yes, it's definately possible for the officers of corporation to do charity work in a way that does not call into question their motives (at least in respect to prostituting their business as opposed to the specific charity work).  OTOH, Microsoft giving computers to schools ain't charity work.  If I recall they've been roasted in forums for that "charity" work.