View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #142

You better start being judgemental otherwise you'll end up with a circle of low class cretins around you. If you can't make a distinction between the guy who littered in your yard and the guy who burned down your house then you have a moral problem. I mean hey they're both vandalism of property right?

Now the Mercthievia code stealing thing would be like me starting a Star Wars mud and claiming I created a muppet named Yoda and Luke and an asthmatic evil fellow...forget his name...and the force ...and well it's NOT Star Wars... oh no nothing at all like Star Wars 'cause I wrote it from scratch and it's just a happy cooincidence that the Lucas fellow used the same names and world. Maybe just inspired from Star Wars if you please. Yeah that's the ticket.

That doesn't appear to fit the mold of "all copyright infringement is the same". But the above describes Mercthievia pretty well and not "fan fiction". I guess stealing 600K of copied code was one heck of an inspiration from the Diku and Merc groups. And it's a swell perversion of inspiration too. You see then all the really really stupid kiddies say well that's okay 'cause the Diku group say theirs was "inspired" from Aber. And being that suddenly "inspired" is a filthy word, a psuedonym for thievery. And that's where moral equivocating gets you, nothing left but meaningless euphemisms in a totally gray world.