Thread: 411?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Parnassus

Parnassus is on a distinguished road
Re: 411?

Unfortunately, there's no really good answer on how to start or, put another way, way too many answers.

One way to start is to find a really big game with lots of people on at all times so that when you ask a question, you can get an answer. Another way is to find a fairly small game with nice people where one might offer to mentor you. If anybody makes fun of you or argues with you on a small mud, my suggestion is to chat thank you, very politely, log off and try a different mud.

Decide if you like the sort of game where you pretend to become whatever your character is or if you prefer a looser style where you are still yourself, sitting at a keyboard. This will tell you rp (role playing) or no rp or somewhere in between.

Would you prefer fighting against a computer brain or a person brain? That will tell you pk (player kill) or no or restricted pk.

Are you interested in the past or the future? Possibly a theme such as Wheel of Time or Dragonball? You'll probably find that most muds have a bit of a mix though.

Go to the mud search section, put in your choices and take your pick. Here are a few pages to get you started though. For a large mud, you might want to try something like Aardwolf () or Realms of Despair () although this is one of those things very few people can agree on. Most of us have our personal favourites.

One interesting thing about Aardwolf, however, is that they suggest using Mushclient (mentioned by Mabus above) along with a set of plugins designed especially to make Aardwolf more newbie friendly. ()

If you prefer a different time period, a really nice one with a lot of quests is 4D (). Unfortunately, they had a recent loss of players, at no fault of their own, and I think I've heard that its fairly quiet there. I could be wrong though. And if you're looking for a good time period, they have four different periods and the areas there are amazing!

As to software, yes, get software. It's possible to mud through telnet, but I think it's one of the main reasons why people stop mudding without getting very far. Again, there will be a lot of disagreement as to which client is the best but, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter since you'll get used to it and probably not want to change. Its much easier to change muds than clients!

For some information about clients, check:

For more info on searching for muds, check:
Parnassus is offline   Reply With Quote