View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Gender Roles, Roleplay, and Possible Glass Ceilings?

I would say it depends strongly on the genre of the game you play. Storyline and background as well as game style will indicate who leads.

On New Worlds Ateraan your character's gendre, race, description, style, and history can play a very strong role in how far you progress socially and politically, but let us just focus on gender glass ceilings since that is your question.

Speaking of females, our game is a continually made up of 50% or more female players. Their characters range from the strong/aggressive fighter type, to the eloquent politic, to the street whore. Each has a place in the game and for factual anology there are 11 female characters and 9 male characters in power positions (Guild Masters, Judges, Marshals, High Priestesses, and similar leadership positions). The game is very diversified but set up in a way that gender doesn't inhibit power, only character choices will.

In strict gaming terms I go back to the type of game. Some are more geared to female style and others male. I won't go into the socio-physiology of sex and game play, but men tend to be hacker slashing borgers and women tend to be emotional deep thinkers. You make the call.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote