View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
Viriato

Home MUD: Iberia MUD
Viriato is on a distinguished road
Re: MUD Development Journal

Hmm... thought this is what I said before. I believe that saying at the start "a player will have 18 abilities maximum", or "there will be Fighter/Wizard/Rogue professions", is already thinking small if you care about theme.
In a MUD I play, they have some cool abilities for Warriors that can be used by training 4 different skills. They have also Thieves, but their only true abilities are steal and hide, which use only 2 different skills. The result is that they created 2 more thieves skills to "balance game", so each profession must have 4 skills, but there are no many advantages of having those last 2.
Personally I don't like it: it's kinda ok in balance perspective, but eventually the profession/abilities system shouldn't work that way, because it means you are forced to create X skills, no matter what they do.

Iberia MUD was first made in Emergence Basic, but now that I've started studying computers, I made it from scratch again but now in Java. Advancements happen like waves: in holydays I make more implementations than during classes. Anyway, I could code much faster if had more free time and if I looked at MUD creation as a task to do, but I rather like the way I am creating it.
In Java many things are easier to make: had lots of troubles to make connections/logins in EB (which is similar to C), and with Java I make it work in very short time; also, as Java is an object oriented language, inventory/shopping lists/skills are extremely easy to implement without mistakes. So I believe it is easier to make a MUD engine in Java rather than in other language.

My biggest accomplishment was to make a MUD engine from scratch but using Emergence Basic as coding language Now in Java I just enjoy each piece of code: the more recent advancement I made was to create MUD world generation via PNG file/room models - something I liked when I read it in MUD foruns. Previously, I made the dealing of Telnet Protocols: made MSSP and implemented NAWS, and ignored all the others, but in near future I pretend to implement MXP and a mobile client that can accept MXP (imagined playing MUD in a PDA using the stylus to click in exits, items to get, etc? :P).

Another thing I've implemented was the language system, where MUD engine replaces true characters by random characters if the language skills of both players are different

I've read some posts about languages, and I would like to hear opinions about this: what if just this system that transforms characters based on language skills is the only communication implemented? This would just make sense in a RP enforced MUD?

Thanks
Viriato is offline   Reply With Quote