Thread: Racism
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Riga

Riga is on a distinguished road
This is straying off the original subject, but this one is also near and dear to my heart.

I agree that you should be allowed to play as you wish.  I, also, have no problem with exceptions to a given rule. However, it is when these exceptions become the norm that I take issue.

Some specific examples that I can think of from the mud I play:
1) The kank-riding elf:  Riding mounts is culturally repulsive to elves. However, there is a very real coded advantage to riding mounts. So, suddenly, every elf becomes the mount riding elf whose parents taught to look beyond such petty worldviews.

2) The liberal noble: In a harsh, aristocratic society, it is up to the nobility to keep the downtrodden down. They've been raised all their lives to believe that they're superior.  Unfortunately, roleplaying this can get old and it also limits who you can interact with.  So, suddenly every player becomes the exceptional noble. You know, the one that believes all people are created equal and loves to dilly dally with the commoners.

3) The enlightened magick lover: Magick is hated and feared by nearly everyone. However, being best friends with a magicker can have some obvious coded benefits. Suddenly, every player comes from a family who taught them not to "judge a book by its cover." and that, "Magick is just a weapon, like a sword.  It depends on the one wielding it." So, you have everyone being friendly to the mages.

Now, there are three very specific cultural rules that are well documented from the mud I play on.  These three cultural rules are some of the things that give the game world its unique flavor. If people constantly play outside of the culture and play the exception to the rule, then the unique flavor of the game is lost.

Riga
Riga is offline   Reply With Quote