View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Yeah, Achaea lacks an auto-mapper. Are we talking about an auto-mapper in the Zmud sense where it spits out a a finished map at the end or are you talking about something where you move and see a "graphical" (in ansi text) representation of your room and the exits leading off of it?

I've been thinking of putting something like the latter in as an option for players, but I guess I question it's usefulness. What I'm thinking of would be something like this:

| /
| /
---You
/
/

To represent that there are north, northeast, southwest and west exits. Obviously we'd pretty it up but is that what people are talking about?

I don't think we'd be able to show more than the exits from the room you're in since because our main body of rooms is node-based (there is a grid-based ansi-graphical overlay of the whole continent but it's mainly a tool for us to introduce distance more easily rather than places with a lot of content). Cause we're node-based, our exits don't have to make sense in a Cartesian way. (I think I'm using Cartesian properly. I'm not much of a math guy.) For instance, there are places where we've intentionally created confusing "illogical" exits to increase the sense of what a convoluted forest really feels like: confusing to get through. You could go north and then east and end up back in the same room. Tough to map in ansi text.

The other big problem is that aside from the 8 cardinal directions you can also move up, down, in, and out. I'm curious how people map this kind of thing in ansi text.

Thanks!
--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote