View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #99
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Thanks you saved me a job there.. I think a certain poster either woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or just likes being beligerent :-)

My post was nothing to do with defending Threshold.. but an observation of the rules of Wiki as a whole. Look at the justification posted by those that want to delete the Threshhold entry, then start taking random links in the MU* (or even the Video game 1996) and APPLY THE SAME REASONING.

Bye bye entry(s)

I am serious. Good of Milawe to give examples of some "well known" names, and save me the bother

All of the WIKI:<xxx> or whatever policies / guidlines they use that are thrown around are ALL based on / and refer to examples of previous arguments to delete an entry. If Threshold is deleted then wikipedi.. amongst others dismisses

1) TMC (I still think of this as THE MUD site / directory.. no offense TMS :-)
2) TMS
3) various other MMO sites, and most article effectivly written about MUD's by anyone
4) Any publication no longer in print
5) The words of people who have to be classified as Experts (pioneering the MUD genre, and winning awards is pretty bloody defining as an expert to me regardless of whether you agree with him or not.. or whether he plays MMORPG's anymore)

and so on.. in otherwords pretty much refereneces / sources . notes for every other MU*. Even Acheae (as big as it was? dunno) would possiblty fail, though to be blunt I was never overly enamoured with it. BUT thats a personal opinion.

The only MUD's I have seen mentioned in modern press (and I read most mags, including retro.. hence why I got into this whole debate) are Achea, Diskworld and Wheel of Time.. but they were only paragraphs.

What next.... spectrum games? Because all reviews are from unreliable sources? All fan sites / remakes are not worthy of note. Well crap, there are no spectrum publications anymore, and WoS is fan run. Get rid. Yet these games are in my memory... are they in the memory of a 20 year old admin? not likely. They defined my youth and where a staple of my generation, but are not notable to anyone else.

To be honest, google is my friend.. and I know that is all I will need for a search on there. Overall who gives a toss whether its in Wikipedia at the end of the day. Its not the first place I go to search for new muds or whats happeneing in the world of muds. What this whole thing has told me is "Wikipedia is flawed". The fact that such a huge percentage of information is controlled by a tiny number of people is wrong.

Waffling again.. sorry

and as a gossipy aside... did the player who posted the deletion, who says openly on his user page he used to play threshold (and the name was the name of his character) get kicked out, and if so how the HELL is a clear violation of the Wiki pillars being ignored. Also when you agree to the terms and conditions of Threshold.. didnt the character name become the property of Frogdice ;-).. please take this last paragraph in the manner it was posted.. far FAR from serious
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote