View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Crafting: How does it work at your favorite game?

Well on that score, its best not to be too restrictive and just keep a log of what is created for typo purposes or use a method of 'if you dont treat the item with IC respect you will lose it or waste resources". Example with the same game Primordiax, has a clothing machine which is another type of crafting.

It allows for the total unfrestricted creation of wearable items. You get to decide where it is worn, if it is on or over, how transparent it is, how warm it is, the ASCII colour, does it cover more than one part of the body (an apron would cover chest, top of legs for example), can it be worn under something and if so how visibile it is if it is. You can create a full set of clothing, with underwear, briefs would be invisible under leggings, but you would just see the socks peeking out from top of the shoes for example. Its great fun!

Players have complete free reign to make anything they want, the description, the alias's, the alternative id names etc, and so far, from what I have seen there has been zero abuse of the mechanic, and a lot of care.

The way this process is protected and how players are made to be careful with it... this process is only avaialble to players who have medallions which can be won through IC means or by a small RL purchase (and soon I would assume by the tailor class for expensive IC currency).. i.e are either great players who will respect the game, or those who have paid for the privilidge and wont be wasting it.. so in a free to play game, you would make sure only players with commitment and who are vetted 'by-proxy' by their game playing time would be allowed to let loose or make sure that continued use of bad grammar / bad typos are classes as 'broken items' which are wasted. Or even use the players themselves as the vetters. Have long term players 'inspect' apprentices work(ii.e the spelling) and make it an in game mechanic that is fun!
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote