Thread: Tactless idiots
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
You either ignored or didn't know that Stryth and Zafrin (our most active ever coders) loathe the guy/s that copied those ideas shamelessly, and in fact denied the main offender, the other didn't do too much damage, and he went on to build lots of original stuff of his own. Those guys are seriously hardcore about doing things differently and as original as they can, maybe some of the mistakes of the past helped them decide that, or maybe everyone was considered equal for their part back then, dunno. Thats how it is now though. As the new imp there I also hate it, and I am damned if I am going to let it stay, I intend to remove as much of it as I can completely from the MUD, whether its popular or not. It disgusts me. But I'm not going to remove stock code and code thats on snippets all over the net for the sake of being different, I'm fully aware how the stock scene has developed - thats partly why AR is kinda behind these days, but it saves me some work and I'm thankful for that. Carrion Fields is an amazing MUD, they have accomplished so much, I love that place, any aspiring ROM coder/builder should look up to it. I give it a 9 out of 10. Most advanced ROM mud I ever saw. Its just different to us, everything is weaker on AR purposefully (from the races right down to equipment and tick length, the fundamentals of gameplay), and its a smaller world by design, and we handle magic a lot different. There's definitely some too-similar elements present, and you might not be surprised to learn that WE DONT LIKE THEM. Time has made those things out of place and super powerful compared to the rest of the stuff and they're going to get the chop as more time permits. I don't think its fair to me, the other implementors who have coded and poured literally years of their time into AR, to throw us in the same basket as the other MUD you mention here.

The fact is if you pulled all the AR-developed ideas out of the spinoff mud which you claim has 'advanced' far beyond it (I prefer to call it, defacing it in their own image), you'd have a lot of holes. Say goodbye to the bard and monk class without a doubt. Ta-ta vampires. Later minotaurs, sliths, werebeasts and illithids. Goodbye all those great high level areas that AR spent so much time making, starting from stock. Then there's the whole tick time, spell system and the unique way one_hit works, which I'd say was pretty important. All gone. See how we shape up vs them then. Thats before we get into the ideas that got/get ripped from the forums before they could/can get coded. So, quite a big hole I'd say. The difference in that and our dirty laundry is many folds bigger. And no, we don't ban people that accuse or ask about our history on the mud, at least not until they get vulgar. We are open to discussion, I've been over it many times with visitors who asked, and I narrate to the best of my knowledge what happened, and if they're patient I'll tell them what we've done to try to redeem for that. In fact I've even talked to CF imms and we've exchanged IP's of advertisers to ban for them in the past. So its probably not advertised well enough on AR that one of their poor original imps took a few short-cuts, but its no big deal to display it on the webpage for everyone to see. I'd even go so far as to link to CF and say if you're not going to play AR then try there next because its a #### fine mud. Maybe I will include that as a part of the new website design we've been working on, I really do not mind doing it, it would be nice to have a bio anyway, and they definitely deserve some credit for how hard they work.

Just incase I didnt emphasise this clear enough there was a BIG GROUP of imms when AR opened and one or two of them wanted to rip CF off likely because they enjoyed it so much, having left because of the things they didn't like (which didnt include getting busted for cheating on an immortal and demoted, regardless of why it is). Lots of places start like that. Thankfully they're gone, and those that are left here on AR are primarily interested in providing a unique playing experience, and shaping it towards the ideals that were set out 6 months before it opened in 1996, obviously the ones who were the most serious about doing a new mud. Feel like playing a mud like CF? Then please, go and play CF. Don't play AR. I'm the implementor of AR telling you that. Find out what AR is about before you play it, we're not so purdy as other places cause we spend more time under the hood than spraying the car, thats not likely to change anytime soon. We do add ideas from outside generally on request and if its adding something to the MUD worth doing it. Being familiar with other MUDs gives a good way for our coders to know what to -avoid- coding. Do we claim to be a custom base? No, we advertise as ROM, we're not different enough from stock to claim that. Do we claim we have lots of original areas? No, we have stock and we say so.

I see that other place advertising as the leader of pk muds on the net, and I admit that hurts, I deliberately don't complain about it much though coz that'd just hurt AR. Its definitely much different to AR now, its been tailored to the tastes of its founders, maybe your tastes fit that since you consider it advanced far beyond us I guess, go play there if you like it. AR hasn't been coded on intensively in a few years, and with the code swipes going on, the competition is just stiffer for it - but at the end of the day, we're coding again now, and it'll be the better implementation that gets the players in the long run, they had a good headstart but we're back active now, and we'll see how things look in a year.

Anyway, the areas being taken really sucks, thats what sucks the most from my point of view, you can code bash and trip two different ways but an area is an area, and 10+ original areas is a bit hard to lose. They were made for the theme of AR, and were once one of our major attractions, now they're getting beaten easily by more powerful characters a different place. By and large the two mud's imps still get along and sometimes co-operate with troubled times, there's a little discomfort but its been a while, we were friends before it happened and that stands, its not like its Bush vs Hussein or something.

This post is a rare display of openness because you attacked our muds players. The imms at AR are very honest, and our rules are explained simply and enforced strictly. Anyone who talks to them or tries to pull stuff here will find that out in a timely manner. There's a few knuckleheads on the MUD as there is any MUD, but that is pretty unfair to the rest of our players to pigeonhole them with the rest, as if its just one big bunch of louts. I've banned people who thought they were above a ban before and I intend to do it everytime it is required, friend or not. I'm pretty disgruntled with our being brought into comparison with dirty Achaea, I'll get over it, but that was a can of worms that did not need re-opening again, and on a public forum; at least get the facts straight. We have some very loyal and caring players, who play AR because its to their tastes. Obviously there's well-known and better looking alternatives to woo them away if they wanted to leave, the fact our supposedly prehistoric MUD still has 40-50 players that are happy here. Many of which who know full well what AR's history is about, since they also have their copies of the code from when it got leaked and passed around, and could have checked for themselves if we didn't tell them. Bleh, I waffled enough, sorry everyone.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote