View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #72
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I couldn't agree with you more Matt.  In my experience, the amount of classes or races has no effect on my play experience.  As a matter of fact, MUDs that have TOO MANY races or classes often turn me away because I don't feel like putting the effort in and learning what each individual race or class does.

I've heard people refer to many of the classless or raceless MUDs I play as "Black Coffee" MUDs, because they think that the lack of races or classes makes it inferior to some MUD with a thousand races and some treasure chest's worth of pre-defined play classes.

I like the Go metaphor, but I'll use one I'm more inclined to.  The difference, to me personally, seems like the difference between Chess and Checkers.

In Chess, the pieces all have functions and traits, almost like races and classes.  There are certain ways you can use each piece, and there is a right and wrong way to play each piece.  Certain pieces can counter others, blah blah blah.  However, with Checkers, all pieces are identical in movement (except for kinged pieces) but their true ability lies with the player.  Your ability in Checkers does not often depend on your correct use of the piece, but your ability to play Checkers.

I've always been a Checkers man, while it's not often given the same credit as Chess so far as checks and balances and variety of play techniques, Checkers's strategical depth can be as good or greater than Chess simply because of the infinite amount of possibilities individuals can accomplish.  And just like raceless and classless MUDs, Chess players often dismiss Checkers as a fool's game.

I dunno, we'll see if this metaphor works as I intended, it sounds alright to me at this moment.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote