View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Hi, hey, hello

There aren't fewer restrictions, nor is there a "line" (at least in any technical sense), that's the point. You can play Second Life with a text-based client, or a Diku with a 3D graphical client, should you so wish. There is also nothing stopping you from mixing text and graphics in varying degrees, and indeed most MUDs/MMORPGs do exactly that.

Obviously, but I never claimed that every server is identical. What I said is that there's very little inherent difference between server development for a MUD, and server development for a MMORPG. The issues you're bringing up are not specific to MUDs or MMORPGs, they're general issues related to server design.

Only if the server is extremely badly designed. And even then, you'd have the same problem regardless of whether it was a MUD or MMORPG.

Now you're talking about specific implementations - you're making those assumptions again. Do you think all MMORPGs have collision detection? Do you think MUDs can never have collision detection? This comes back to my earlier point: when you design your game you need to decide whether or not you want collision detection, and you need to make that decision whether you're developing a MUD or an MMORPG.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote