View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Lotherio

Lotherio is on a distinguished road
Re: Haven Mud: Demons, Buddhist Monks and Everything Between

Not my advertisement, just following up to give some response for those reading and there are a lot that have browsed the thread.

Yes all 'publicity' is good publicity, gotcha.

Yes, sorry, I get verbose, my apologies to anyone I may have offended. I would be all for a serious discussion on two breastplates and the illogical ideas it could represent as opposed to the intentions of it in the game, just I'm not staff, wasn't around when the 2nd breastplate was added and can't speak for choices made for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Besides, how'd you know my RL name was Francis, I thought I made that private.

Edit:

In fairness, a better explanation of armour and how there are two breastplates work in game terms might be beneficial to those interested ...

Armour is classified by tier and type.

Tier is simply what the armour is; tier 1 is cloth, tier 2 is leather, up to tier 7 which is heavy plate. They also correspond to the defensive skills a character might have (ie, a mage has a trainable skill 'cloth armour' while a cavalier has 'heavy plate armoru'). It is important because metal armours interfere with certain types of magic (conjuring based), but even someone without skill in using an armour can wear it for some protection.

Type defines which body parts it covers. Body parts include head, torso, right and left arm, right and left hand, right and left leg, right and left foot as well as # of fingers for the purposes of wearing rings. There are 17 types that I am aware of, not being staff. Some seem exclusive to 'cloth' type armours (or I haven't found metal armour yet to fit into those slots), such as 'shirt' or 'hat'. Some types only cover one part, a 'vest' only covers the torso. While others cover multiple parts, like 'body armour' covers torso and both arms, and 'full armour' covers torso, both arms, and both legs, and the tabi is a 'long sock' and covers a foot and a leg.

In the example I provided, the basic breastplate is a vest, it reads as 'a small chest protector made of one piece of metal' - maybe like Clint Eastwood (and later Marty McFly). The steel breastplate is a body armour, described as covering most of the wearer's torso and offering great protection. So, getting into that detail, the single piece of metal breastplate is quite possibly just dangling over the steel breastplate, like a Flavor Flav clock and offering some protection as such.

Perhaps better still is that the naming of the breastplate, meaning a plate over the breast, versus a breastplate, as in covering the entire torso (chest and back), has left it confusing on the surface?

Last edited by Lotherio : 04-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Lotherio is offline   Reply With Quote