Old 04-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #134
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
In a nutshell, only because it is a lot easier to show you than explain on a forum, the following would be a very, very basic example map from the game(uncolored, as copy/paste doesn't pick up the color as well).

ASJ: Path to the Maze
:::::::::
:Y.......Y:
..*....*./
:Y.......Y:
:::::::::

The *s are the living beings. One of them is me. Another one happens to be a zombie. The other symbols on the map stand for various things from a door, to trees, to a hedge-grass wall, etc.

Here is another example.

A Maze
Nearby: a mutant plant(SE) | a mutant plant(SE) | a bloodied dog(S) | a mutant plant(NE)

Y##.##*.
/*.....(
Y.####.*
Y.#
Y.#
Y.*
YYY

Again, the leftmost * is my character, the others being various enemy mobs. For me to fire on one, I would need to ready my weapon and type fire (direction [n, s, e, w, ne, se, sw, nw]). However, just because the brief room lookout states that there is a dog (S) or (South), does not mean that if I fire south, I will hit the dog. As you can see(with some difficulty since this is on a forum and not the actual client), I can barely see the dog south because hedge-walls are blocking my line of sight. If I were to fire south at that dog(triggered from a script that looks for mobs in the command line), it would miss.

Beyond just that, how do you teach your script how to act in situations where you would be swarmed by different kinds of enemies?

Example:

Y##.##.
+***...(
Y*####.
Y*#
Y.#
Y.*
YYY

Okay, so again - I am the leftmost * character. I know, hard to differentiate without coloring. So how would you script to fight that one, while being swarmed? You would need a scripting program that could differentiate between color just for your triggers to understand the difference between yourself and the enemy. Beyond that, you would have to somehow account for multiple lines of information in your trigger itself, and somehow take into account every variety of map and character/mob location in order to teach your script where to fire and when.

Combat descriptions themselves look something a little like this;

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 2>f s
Your shot slightly nicks a mutant plant's torso.

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 1>
A bloodied dog lunges at you headfirst, mouth gaping.

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 1>f s
Your shot injures a mutant plant's head.

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 0>f s
You have no ammo remaining in an O-Tech Cybernetics custom pistol .

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 0>f s
You have no ammo remaining in an O-Tech Cybernetics custom pistol .

<Health: 68% Energy: 100% Ammo: 0>w

A bloodied dog sinks its teeth deep into you, tearing your muscle!
A bloodied dog's bite jaggedly rends your left arm.

<Health: 48% Energy: 100% Ammo: 0>

As you can see by now(I hope), combat scripting would do you little good in the game. I hope that maybe(?) clears things up for you.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote