View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #27
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Shhh!!! We don't want them finding out that programs like MudMaster, zMud, MUSHclient and others already provide such P2P server/client solutions. lol

----

In fact such programs even provide 'snoop' and 'remote command' type options that the mud can't tell isn't coming from the users client (since it is) or being sent to someone elese.

If you are really worried about this then, "get a clue". The only real solution is a custom client that you 'must' have to play, most of which don't provide scripting or any of the other *nasty* things that honest players use to help them keep track of things in the game more easilly, but which scare the admin, since they can't detect their use or stop it. However, no matter what bells and wistles get added to the custom client, it still royally sucks compared to one that let you code scripts to do real work. And some things you need this for.

For example, potions on my mud would require keeping a list of all ingredients needed to make them. I can do it on paper, but coding a plugin for Mushclient that *learned* made more sense to me and other people can use it too. Someone else made an external application that can be called from script and provides a detail map for a Mechwarrior based mud. Someone else recently made a external window to which you can feed colored text, for things like chats and stuff. Some of this could be made in a custom client (maybe all), but major changes to the mud would require a entirely new version of the client. We just patch our scripts.

Personally.. If someone has a client that can script such a encryption/decryption feature, then it probably can do a lot more. If it is one of the big three, MM, zMud or MUSHclient, then it has P2P chat built in, no need to encrypt. If they are doing it on the mud then a) you are right, they are out to get you!!, b) they are using it to be more unique (I considered a translator of sorts for the kitsune race on the mud I play) or c) they are trying to be annonamous, but are too bloody stupid to get a client that already lets you do so through MM Chat or zChat.

Best bet is to find out 'why' they are actually doing it and see if middle ground is possible, like implimenting the encoding/decoding on the mud itself and having the admin's view be always plain text. But to assume they are doing it to cheat or do an end run around you is imho more a case of fear than reality. Its your call if you want to nuke/ban them, but it doesn't really tell you 'why' they did it or if there may have been some useful purpose to it.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote