Thread: Your first MUD?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Your first MUD?

I started off with a couple of BBS style MUDs in 1991/1992. At this point I even got into coding them, and sold a number of modules/addons to the creators of two BBS door MUD-type games (if I recall their names, I think they were Legends and Illusions). By either 1993 or 1994, a BBSer told me about MUDs, and how they were so much better than BBS door game MUDs.

I do not recall the first true MUD I played, but I think it might have been Genesis. Things I recall were you either had to kill, or got a bonus for killing, whatever mob killed you. There was a constant battle between two sides (I think good and evil) who were sacrificing items at some temple. There was constantly some dude in the center of town running a bot who would teleport you back to town or buff you if you sent him the right message in a tell.

The first MUDs I played heavily were Darkwind and Realmsmud. I played them to death.

Then I got back into creating, and from that point forward I have mostly just created MUDs. Though I did return to both Darkwind and Realmsmud a few times, and have played a few other MUDs here and there.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote