View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

I've been to some MUDs in the past where rape RP was allowed as an acceptable part of player-to-player interaction. It was always explicitly stated in the rules in these games that both parties must consent to rape RP first, or else the alternative was to "fade to black" while accepting that the rape occurred.

These games were not the "adult" "entertainment" MUDs with the BDSM and RP sex and consensual sex slavery and stuff like that. I stay out of those games completely anyway. The games I played with allowable rape RP were RPI games for "mature" players where character death was permanent and irreversible. One game had an in-game attitude where rape was culturally acceptable and the PC victims were sometimes considered privileged to have been raped; while in another game, aggressors could (and usually did) choose to rape a PC victim in lieu of PK. Both examples I'm using (and I won't name games due to the nature of the subject) were games where sex was not the primary focus of the story--people didn't log in necessarily for sex-related RP. I rarely heard of male PCs being raped, though my characters would sometimes hear that some female PC or other was raped in various orifices by another PC.

I understand that, in a game where death happens once and is irreversible, PKers may not always want to kill off a good RPer or rival in order to be gracious to the person losing out in a hostile interaction. I would say that this is perfectly understandable, and even I would hesitate to kill someone off completely unless there was a very good reason why my character would want the person dead--for instance, my character would want to kill a villain like Adolf Hitler, but not a rival like Pokemon's Gary Oak. There are ways to punish characters through RP: maybe RP out a good beating that the victim will have to heal up from, or take away a valuable possession or money, or (in a brutal, lawless, dog-eat-dog game world) cut off the victim's off-hand.

But it's 2016. What good does it do in any RP situation to rape a PC? Who really wants to fantasize about raping someone? Who really wants to fantasize about their character being raped (whether they act it out in accordance with game rules or just "fade to black"), and then have to RP the emotional trauma which accompanies rape? Who really wants to act out a rape scenario? Why should rape be considered a "privilege" in some settings? Too many people in the real world have suffered from rape, and in some places of the world, barbaric idiots have the nerve to blame, chastise, and even punish the victim for being raped.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote