Thread: Builders
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #29
Vladaar

Vladaar is on a distinguished road
I haven't read through all the posts, but I found the first few posts very interesting.  I used to be into coding heavily on my mud, and worked at being a good coder.

Over the years, I have hired, and gone through a whole slew of builders, and very few if any of them ever finished an area.

Heh, further more builders often get discouraged, and give up from just seeing my building guidelines.  O MY GAWD!  This guy won't allow us to use the word, "you" in a room description!  Heh, very basic gramar writing requirements, and certain formats seem to just be impossible for many of the builders who claim to have built many areas for other muds, heh.  I get people who want quantity areas over quality made one's with anything written out, but I still believe your room descriptions and such are the first impression new players get, and you only get one chance to knock their socks off with it.

I have come to find that I had to build the areas if I wanted them done, and that I was better at building then I ever suspected.  Now, I have hung up my coding ambition, and desire to only crank out quality areas, which I am very good at, if I have someone else taking care of the coding needs, that staff, and players have.

*** Vladaar is hiring for a head coder btw, if one presents himself/herself and has references/examples of work.  ****

However, for some reason, I have the opposite problem, and can't seem to find a "decent coder" to work for me full time, so I can just work on building areas.  Heh, funny how that works out.  

Anyway, with all the struggling small muds out there that may not ever get completed, I have often wondered.  Why we can't ever join forces, and complete one really nice mud.

Vladaar
Vladaar is offline   Reply With Quote