View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 08:46 AM   #137
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
Hey, there's again a very simple solution for that. It's called "don't use those snippets".

Also, people coding small snippets adding one often very tiny aspect to a game might be hard-pressed to think how exactly their small snippet might affect the overall quality of any given MUD it could potentially be used on. That ought to be the job of any MUD's imp - as are all matters of balancing out features.

Now there is obviously a learning curve, and often the newbie admin might be tempted by quantity / "coolness" over quality and balance - until he might learn better.

Now, though, do you know any successful DIKUrative which is just an off-the-shelf codebase with a rag-tag assortment of snippets thrown in? I sure don't. But I know a certain amount of MUD coders and admins who started out this way, learned their stuff and started to get good at it after a while. All without violating neither letter nor spirit of the licenses, might I add.

Plus, as long as we're in the freebie area, I personally wouldn't mind at all having eg an alternative combat handler to tweak rather than the stock one - even if it would only give me additional ideas to make my own stuff. I sure wouldn't want a commercial library for that purpose, and I'll sooner continue to fiddle on my own rather than get a commercial product.