Thread: Help files?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Hmm.. Help file drift, like continental drift, can often bury real information when the people that should be making the help files decide it is less critical than game design. Often this sadly seems to happen very early on and then they throw up their hands and decry that actually making real ones are a) never needed in the past and b) would take too much work. lol

But seriously, I doubt there is a mud that doesn't experience this to some extent. Ages of Despair, where I play has extensive and deatailed help, but even so, the help files for individual races often don't 'quite' match the statistical list of all races. There is a feature of cleric called Persona that has never been documented (and won't be until they find someone to run the guild again). Class restrictions require looking at both the classes sub-guilds, since the restriction file isn't 100% accurate. And so on... It is about 98% accurate I would say, save for things intentionally left undocumented, but they cover neverly everything imaginable, and even some things I half the time can't even remember the help files for. lol

I doubt any muds have extraordinary help, but Aod's are probably better than average. Assuming you can find the correct link to take a look. I suspect the one posted in the info on AoD is still listed as agesofdespair.org:5000, which hasn't been correct for over a year. The correct one is aod.mine.nu:5000, though the old adress will be resurrected for the web page at least, eventually.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote