View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Errico

Errico is on a distinguished road
Akanbar and Evarayn sound like the perfect muds for you. They're both custom-coded muds with balance-based combat (like Avalon or the IRE muds) and, though Akanbar does let you buy lessons with real money, neither of them requires you to spend any money to get new skills, relying instead on time spent in realm and levels.

Both the MUDs are great as far as RP goes, but Evarayn wins out in that catagory. While I haven't played it actively in a while, there used to be great admin and player initiated/run events from time to time as well as just great everyday RP.

As far as skills and classes go, I'd have to say Akanbar wins. In Akanbar you can be everything from a dragon-riding warden to a demon-transforming forsaken. Evarayn's skill system works quite differently, allowing players to select what skill sets they want to learn from a large list. Mastering a particular set of skills will enable you to later learn a profession skillset, entitling you to some pretty awesome skills.

Akanbar is still fairly early in development so there aren't too many things to do besides fighting, bashing and questing, but expect that to be remedied fairly soon with the introduction of Merchants and trade skills. In Evarayn you can do anything from bashing in it's instanced-dungeons to sailing to "working" - ie playing various minigames like minesweeper and that cracker barrel peg game - for one of your city's guilds.

All and all they're both great muds. Personally, I play Akanbar right now as I find the combat slightly more entertaining, but you can't really go wrong with either one.
Errico is offline   Reply With Quote