Thread: ooc cheating
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 12:56 PM   #15
Frostflower

Frostflower is on a distinguished road
In my mind this is a very good analogy. The people who play honestly are those who assume the role, or put on the mask. Those who use ooc information and/or relationships are, in fact, being puppeteers. They use their own, and unfortunately, also other people's characters as puppets.

This is more a problem in a strict rp mud, but can be unfortunate in less enforced environments. One mud I was involved with has quests built in the areas (mini adventures). Disclosing information about them is strictly forbidden and should any e caught, they would be punished. But when the answers to the riddles are given over an IM, outside the mud, there is nothing to do.

This is the harmful ooc information, specific things that could only known by personal experience in the mud being spread out. Not general knowledge like what a falchion is, but the knowledge that Sir K's falchion is enchanted and easily stolen if you hide in his chamber on the night the moon is full when he goes sleepwalking. (I made the example up).

In an RP enforced mud, the effects are worse. It gives some such an edge over another that there may not be any feasible way out of the situation. Other than quit. I'm going to refrain from starting a rant here.

OOC cheating is a problem. Stopping it may be impossible, but I it should still be attempted. It ruins the fun for so many, in various ways.
Frostflower is offline   Reply With Quote