Thread: Graphical Muds
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
milliway

milliway is on a distinguished road
A truly great client/server game would not just involve sending 'codes' to the client. It would involve the client sending codes back too... For example, in my game (which Hyptosis is doing the art for now, man is he fantastic...) when you want to edit a room, you send the command ROOM EDIT to the server. The server responds by sending a "Launch the room editor, existing name is Main Street, existing description is blah, existing image is blah, etc" This causes the client to launch a new window to allow editing of the room. The client is not blocked, however, and can continue to use the game from the main window.

When the client is done editing the room and clicks OK, the client sends a "ok i'm done editing the room, the new name is Broad Street' command back to the server, which then revalidates the clients access to make the change, the commits the change, then sends a notification back to the client's main window that the name was changed.

Anyway, I hope this description helps someone out there. Our game in progress is at if you want to see this stuff in action, log in and try the FACECHOOSER command, it works similarly to what I described here.
milliway is offline   Reply With Quote