Thread: Good vs. Evil
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #13
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
Sort of like.. in war, there are no good guys or bad guys...  This could provoke a whole discussion on the nature of good and evil.  Is there really such a thing as either?  But.. I won't get into that... :)  Basically, you're right.  It all depends on your perspective.  From my character's perspective, she is not evil.  All of the other "corrupted" houses are evil.  Yet they see her and anyone associating with her house to be absolutely despicable.

But, I think that in your game, the general belief is meant to be that "light people" are "good" and "dark people" are "evil".  And the "twilight people" are like the true neutrals, believing in balance before all else.  I could be wrong, but it seems that the likening of "dark" and "light", etc. are there for a purpose.  And most people associate light with goodness and dark with evil.

But, I also agree with you that alignments can be particularly restricting.  That's one reason why I try to avoid muds with an alignment system.  And some of my characters don't exactly fit into the categories of good-neutral-evil, lawful-neutral-chaotic either.  But I think that most people can find an alignment which at least mostly relates to their character and his/her standing.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote