View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Graham

Graham is on a distinguished road
Re: Developing from scratch

That is pretty expensive to be honest. I'm not sure why these MUD hosting companies still exist now VPSes are more commonplace. I pay $20 a month for a Linux VPS with 512 MB of RAM for hosting my websites. It shares a machine with 20 others, so you are guaranteed to be able to use 5% of the CPU power in the worst case and most of the time you can use more. This would definitely be more than enough for a small MUD server, and probably enough for most of the larger MUD servers that are running.

Lots of the codebases out there are pretty large and intimidating to someone that hasn't looked through them before. I think for a very large codebase (where you might only use a fraction of the available features) it could be easier to write your own one.

For example, I am programming my MUD server from scratch in Java but before I had a look at some of the existing codebases out there. CoffeeMUD has 370,000 lines of code and so many features that I wouldn't have required or used (or even known about). I think the only person that probably knows it very well is the author of it! Whereas if I make my own one, it's just got the things I require and I will know all of the code well enough to be able to develop features much quicker (once the 'core' code is done).
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote