View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
angelbob

angelbob is on a distinguished road
Here, lemme make it clearer what I mean about the "using a complex structure instead of an int" and "make it look like C++" bits.

Your example could be less trivial -- vectors and matrices are the cleanest example I know of in C++, and the best example of why operator overloading might not suck. Every other example that I know of is thoroughly horrible, and I absolutely include "cin" and "cout" in that. I mean, c'mon, they're using bit-shift operators for input and output. How clean and intuitive is *that*?

It's hard in C and ugly in C++ to pass big complex structures around as though they were regular builtin data types. That's pretty much what you're doing above. You can do the same with matrices and define addition, multiplication and (with some stretching) things like inner products, inversion and solving. Of course, nobody but you will ever guess your operators on the first try for anything except addition and multiplication, and they'll need to check your documentation to see if you're doing real matrix multiplication or just going element-by-element.

So instead of something big and nasty and C-like like this:

Matrix *A,*B,*C;

A = MatrixInit(7,7);
MatrixFileLoad(A, "mydatafile.dat");
B = MatrixInit(7,9);
MatrixFileLoad(B,"myotherdata.dat");
C = MatrixInit(7,9);
MatrixMultiply(C, A, B);

You can instead have something smaller and C++-y like this:

Matrix A(7,7), B(7,9);

A.FileLoad("mydatafile.dat");
B.FileLoad("myotherdata.dat");
C = A * B;

Cleaner, smaller, and not much slower if you do it right. The bit of slowness added is because you'll be copying C after that matrix multiply with its copy constructor. You could avoid even that if your compiler is really clever (it's not -- check the code if you use GCC, or the execution time if you use VC++), and the stack space hit doesn't matter in this day and age, at least for MUDs. I used to work for Palm, I notice these things. Anyway.

I'll mention in passing that the library implementing this stuff will be much nastier in C++ than in C. But you could point out that you only write the library once and you write code with it many times. You'd be right. Of course, you maintain the library and deal with bugfixes constantly, and the C++ version does a lot more under the covers. For instance, if you had a bug in the copy constructor or one of the operators in the C++ version (for instance -- does A *= B work? Maybe...) you'll have a much nastier time tracking them down and finding all the functions that are called. I'd say a good debugger would help you, but GDB and VC++ both have serious issues with a lot of very standard C++, let alone godawful things like most proprietary Unix debuggers.

You can say "but I'd write the library right' or "but I'd debug and test it well". You'd probably be right. Good for you. Now, are you the only one working on your project? I've seen a lot of very bad C++ with very hard-to-find bugs. Much more so even than C, especially if I can use a tool like Purify on both.
angelbob is offline   Reply With Quote