View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Hmm. Been playing EQ2 and I find it ironic that one major similarity is the need to do this sort of thing. The interesting bit their though is that "housing" isn't just "getting a room". What you can store in the room, how much you can sell other players, etc. are dependent on how much you spend to get the initial room *and* how much upkeep you spend. Most muds find food "annoying". The reason being obviously that in muds you have to stop to go "eat crackers" or some stupid thing ever X hours. The 3D games solve this by having auto-eat, which may be less efficient than doing it yourself (which is also an option), but you can carry quite a bit with you, enough for probably 20 hours of RL play time, more if you have it in your inventory, but not assigned for use yet. Equipment won't be destroyed, but it *does* break and get less effective over time (though in EQ2 this only happen *if* you die to something). Then there is some cost to crafting items. That used to be higher, but changes made at some point along the line removed a step. Used to be, if you wanted to make a shield, you might need to make a frame, a strap, some bolts, etc, *then* combine them to make a shield. This meant costs to make the initial items, then more cost to make the final one, not including the time it took to successfully produce those items.

In any case, some things work, some don't. The mud I play at tried for a while to institute a "tax" on money you made, which just left everyone poor if they didn't go out and fight stuff constantly. Given that a fair amount of the player based doesn't do much but sit around idle and chat with each other occationally (even PCs get slow and doddering in their old age I guess... lol), that seriously annoyed some of them.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote