Thread: pk forum again
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Disclaimer: I'm not opposed to PK in general.  The MUD I work at certainly isn't shy about it.

That said, I find PK logs and discussions from games I don't play pretty worthless.  You'll see a number of abilities and 'rules' that don't apply elsewhere, you don't know what the participants' options were, and it's hard to judge whether anyone involved is skilled, clever, or just mashing their MUD's local overpowered ability  Unlike roleplay logs and discussions, PK-oriented posts won't be very 'portable' from game to game.  "You should have anticipated that he'd have Iron Grip of Azazel and Bloodlust of the Seven Fiends up and given up on maledicting with Templar's Defense.  Instead, fight out of a Champion's Stand and try to sneak in a Light of Heaven opener...."  "Guhwha?"

I could see advertisements along the lines of an annotated PK log, however.  A lot of people look for that kind of depth in combat code, and some combat examples (with appropriate comments to guide the reader) would let some of us more fancy-schmancy types let their MUD's code flex its muscles for prospective players.  But tactical discussions and log analysis are hard enough between two MUDs using the same codebase, let alone two different ones.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote