View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
Re: RP Enforced or RP Mandatory MUDS

I'm pretty much in agreement with Kris on what I expect from "RP Mandatory/Enforced". I expect that it means that you are not allowed to speak or act OOC unless it's through a separate and clearly defined process that does not mix or interfere with the character portrayal and scenes in progress (in other words, there can be an on-stage and off-stage as long as when someone's on stage, they never drop character.) I expect the staff and players to enforce this.

"RP Encouraged" to me means you can drop character anytime you want since there's no rule to the contrary, but the game is designed to allow RP and there's an unspoken (and often unrealized) preference to portraying a character instead of talking about the last Mets game. I usually find that players will walk all over this kind of game and turn it totally OOC but that's just my opinion.

I think people often get way too wrapped up in system specifics rather than ultimate goals when discussing this distinction. I don't care how the separation of IC and OOC is maintained, as long as it is indeed maintained, and people can roleplay their scenes without confusion and interruption.
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote