Thread: Pretty Folks
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
Pasano

Pasano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pasano
I've come to some realization, as I too, do generally lean towards playing the more aestethically pleasant when describing my characters. Keep in mind, in any roleplay environment, there are a few PCs and thousands upon thousands of NPC. Some seen, some not. Is it feasible to believe that there are 20 drow in the entire drow village? Of course not. There are hundreds of thousands that, while not there in appearance, should be assumed to exist.

What separates my drow warrior from the hundreds of thousands of other drow in the city who've lifted a sword. A few things:

Exceptional skill perhaps. A particular driving motive or goal. To be so clearly separated from the pack, as a PC, something about this character should be special, otherwise, he'd just as well be another NPC. In a million, there is always a special one. Perhaps that alluring or beautiful appearance is part of the package.

A skilled and highly trained fighter should, by all rights, have the bulging muscles. He's reasonably gained them through training and hard work. The fact that he's quite handsome beyond his muscles might be what led his masters to train him in the first place. Attractive people have an inside track on things like this. A good looking man or woman is more likely to earn the interest of the best teachers or trainers, simply because they are that, good looking. It is a leadership quality, and who better to train than someone who would become a leader. Charisma, both in personality, and in appearance. Perfect modern example. John F. Kennedy. Was he really that great a leader? Not so much, his administration had it's downfalls. But he motivated people with his words and his appearance. He's noted as having been the most attractive president in US History.

To me, appearance is simply another means by which to separate the PCs from the NPCs. It's an easy way of doing so. There are more complex ways of going about it, and those are best left for skilled roleplayers. I've dabbled it in, as Im sure most of you have. But it takes more planning and theory to do correctly. And why bother if you cant do it right.
Pasano is offline   Reply With Quote