View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Admining and Playing

The freedom of staff members to play the game that they administrate is one which holds immense potential for abuse. Three times now I have quit MUDs partially on account of administrator abuse of power (be it favoring their friends or using their position for their own characters' benefit, etc). It does happen though. As far as staff playing their own game, as long as they avoid abuse it shouldn't be a problem. There are several good rules of thumb to prevent incidence of abuse (not completely though if the person in charge of the game is the abuser):

1. Staff can not play characters that are integral to any existing plots. The exception is characters of newly-promoted staff who are already engaged in plots prior to their ascension to staff.
2. Staff can not design and/or operate plots around their own characters or which might benefit their characters. Any character that is integral to a plot and is not a players' character should be an animated NPC.
3. Staff characters can not hold positions of authority (be it social, political, economic, religious, military, etc) within the game.
4. Staff may not manage any clan in which their character is a member.
5. Staff characters may not receive any benefits that are not available to all new players.
6. If a staff character rises in stature naturally over time, be it through any organization or the like in which they are a member, that is acceptable provided that there is no alternative (for example, declining a promotion or refusing to run for office, etc).

There really is no reason for a staff member to have a character in any position of authority. That's what NPCs are for. The only real reason I can see for staff characters wanting to occupy positions of authority instead of using NPCs or PCs is ego. As I've said before, I've encountered that before and it's not pretty. A well-designed plot does not need a PC to guide it. In fact, it stiffles the possibilities of player decisions if the plot has to be hand-fed to them by a staff character. If it needs guidance, animated NPCs are more than adequate to that purpose. But staff characters in such a role tend to do so to emphasize their own glory and desires, be it for the glamour or just to be the center of attention. Staff should serve the story, not vice versa. When staff characters are directing it, it's no longer about the players.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote