View Single Post
Old 05-04-2002, 03:49 AM   #5
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Very interesting topic here.

I have considered several ways of handling death at my place.

Perma-death was the only option I didn't immediately throw out of the window. But, the question was, how to handle perma-death?

After I thought about it for awhile, I've came up with a few systems that handle all my complaints nicely.

#1: You have a 'reputation' based on in-game actions. If you attack a mob, normally the mob will only knock you out and such. However, if the reputation is different enough, the mob can (and will) kill you. Perma-death.
#2: If two players fight, depending on the fighting style each player uses, and weapons they use, they can do anything from stun to kill their opponent. Some styles can simply only kill - that is the only reason for their existance. I use a system similar to Edward's here - tried and true RP'ers, in my account system, will get a 'Fame' setting. You can only gain some things with a _new character_ via said Fame setting.
#3: I am implementing family trees, with full families and genes and such. I _want_ people to die, to encourage people to have children. Magical traits can run in families. Hell, lines of lycanthropy can even exist! There is so much possibility in this code, involving genes and such, that it makes me drool. There is also extreme incentive to bring in new blood - different talents in new lines. And, even more incentive to bring in _old_ bloodlines - More of a chance to get talents, and such.

I babble. Basically, perma-death is just that. Death.

However, there is one escape. Serve the 'demon'/'dark lord'/insert title here. No one ever goes evil in any RP MUD I play. I figure I may as well give them great incentive to do that - If they have served him well, they can 'come back to life' in a new body.

Should prove interesting, neh?

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote