Thread: MUD Addiction
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
We offer some support for mud addiction.

I have an article on mud addiction on our website, which about 5-6 players from our place compiled together for us. I always link people to read it anytime the forum gets one of those "I'm messed up IRL, so I'm quitting"-type posts. Also with the IRC chat letting players contact each other fairly easy, they'll tip each other off when they notice a peer has been spending an awful lot of time on mud.

Nothing actually happens in the MUD itself, that being enforced as completely IC. The only thing we did of note for in-game itself is to provide surges (periods of double exp/gold/training rate that run every 40 hours, for 2) so that people can still make/train a successful character without being logged in a ton of hours for it. The play time is naturally spaced out by the surges. These work out best for people who just don't have much time to play, they don't do much for people who're already about a lot. Its been a great way to stave off full-blown mud addiction for a lot of players, including me.

We have had a few people occassionally ask Immortals (praying) to deny/ban them because they were addicted.. I've always told them there should be no need to go to that length since if they accept help just staying out of the realms, they're admitting weakness and lack of self-control, which'll just make them feel worse, and that usually provides the kick they need to get off the comp and on with the IRL.

So basically, in-game we let them instigate talks, out-of-game (forums, especially IRC) we sometimes intervene. Its usually them telling me. =p Actually I should probably give this a read again right now.

Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote