Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #45
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

You have made a lot of assumptions, Scandum. I don't play a PC on my permanent death game. I don't abuse people. I am friendly and understanding on the forums, moderate when there are OOC disputes or someone is having trouble with a character concept or finding the kind of roleplay they want. I encourage them to take risks and be willing to accept the rewards and consequences for those risks, whatever they may be. For combat characters, or politically-driven characters, this may mean death. But Atonement is designed to let the characters shape the world entirely ... all of the clans are player-created, there is no admin-controlled government, the environment is codely changeable and controllable by the pcs, the AI's numbers and tactics shift depending on the ongoing battle between PCs and the NPCs ... everything is geared to make there be clear and believable IC consequences for IC action.

In my mind, it is hard to say that the IC consequences for IC action approach is justified without permanent death. Jazuela makes an excellent point above as to why.

I've played on RPIs, PK MUDs, H+S, every kind of MUD imaginable. I have seen abusive admins in every genre. That's a people thing; oftentimes, the worst abusers are power-gamers. I'm not sure what you are basing your insults off of, whether it be personal experience with a specific MUD, or just a general misconception of the motivations of RPI/AFS admins; however, I doubt that you've played my game (correct me if I'm wrong). Atonement's extremely unique, even for an RPI. Give it a try and then make silly accusations about me (or other admins that you do not know and whose games you have not played) being sociopaths or abusive.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote