View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #56
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

You're not suggesting that new players have the same power/skills/abilities as a brand new player are you? Surely any player that has been around for a year or two could kick a new player's arse and therefore has much more limited risk of death. Moreso the longer you are around.

I haven't played these types of games for well over 5 years, but I can tell you the whole premise back then was tag and bag new players. A big reason I couldn't stand Arm. And those pking had the attitude of "Well too bad, it's a harsh game! Intensive Roleplay." Riiiiight.

Perhaps the attitude has changed there and other similar games because of the lack of ability to bring in new players. But I doubt the style and power base has changed.

Which brings up another argument about Level vs. Leveless systems. I maintain there is no difference when a Leveless system has skill levels rather than Guild or Player levels. Any levels at all makes it a Level system. I tend to laugh at games that call themselves leveless yet have 13241234 skill levels in say crafting, swimming, hand to hand combat, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the difference between a Level 242 Mage and a Mage with of Spell Skills at 242. Both can beat the pants off of a Level 1 Mage and a Mage with Spell Skills at 1.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote