View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: hosting service suggestions?

If you don't mind, keep an eye out for kernel 'stalls' when trying to do disk access. One common problem I've seen across all VPS's so far is that sometimes, when you try to do more than one or two disk read/writes in succession, the kernel I/O syscall will simply 'go away' for an extended period of time depending on server load.

I've actually had my entire VPS not respond in any way whatsoever for up to a minute at a time. Now that we're on a multi-processor partition, it's generally just a single process that blocks, and intercepting the syscall shows that it's blocked in the kernel trying to talk to the hypervisor.

There also appears to be at least one hypervisor/kernel issue where filesystem write calls simply never complete. Ever.

At any rate, if you happen to notice stuff like this, please post here or send me a mail. Most people never see it, but AA is substantially larger than most games and from what I gather has a lot more disk I/O. If you notice it also, it would be a good data point.

We are running linux kernel 2.6.32-305-ec2 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote