View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #58
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Re: FYI Mudconnector forums shut down

It was the forums that I was primarily referring to.

Threshold's posts were preaching that this was *the* site to have MUD related discussions on - discussions don't benefit from players being sent here on a daily basis to click a vote button.

TMS forums only have 49,836 posts.

Sounds like a big number I suppose, until you break that down into posts per day, the forums have existed for 4,126 days.

12.08 posts per day is the mean for the site, the median is almost surely much lower due to topics of interest sparking up every now and then which result in far more posts on specific days than others.

That's also the mean all-time since April 2002. I'm sure the average post amount per day in 2002 was much, much, higher than it has been in any recent year.

MudBytes has 63,837 posts and is barely half as old as topmudsites forums.

63837/2640=24.18 posts per day, over double that of TMS.

And then there's TMC: 90,856 posts in 3,612 days for 25.16 days, slightly beating MudBytes and once again more than doubling TMS in posts per day.

MUDBytes might get the honorable mention in terms of traffic, but the honorable mention has always been TMS when referring to the forums specifically.

It's just an old version of vBulletin, which I would agree is a better forum software than most MUD forums use if it weren't for the "old" in that sentence.

Due to its age it get targeted by millions of spambots, as can be seen:

I've ran forums with far more posters, and far more activity, that ran on newer versions of vBulletin that virtually never had spambots successfully register.

The only reason vBulletin is better than alternatives like, say - phpBB3 is because unlike them it isn't free.

Note the lack of "real" accounts listed.

It has more commercial MUD admin, less of just about everything else. It's not the most widely representative, it's the least widely representative. Commercial MUDs are just about the smallest niche in the MUD community - not in regards to the size of their playerbase, but in regards to the actual amount of commercial MUDs. Over 99% of all MUDs are ran as a hobby. The fact that commercial MUD admin are such a large part of this community goes to show how non-representative it is of the community, not how representative it is.

You mean like you're judging Plamzi?

A different set of rules don't apply to site administrators than to everyone else.

You seem to have no problem making judgement of your own against those you disagree with.

Everyone has the right to judge everyone as a person. You might not like it, but that doesn't change it.

Last edited by Fizban : 08-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote