Thread: Death Traps
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #9
enigma@zebedee

enigma@zebedee is on a distinguished road
Yup, and thats a valid reason not to play them. On the other hand not all LP muds don't save equipment - just like not all DIKU's have deathtraps.

Me I judge a mud on its merits (whatever my statement might have implied). I have just never played a DIKU which didn't have deathtraps - and hence stopped playing and/or trying them.

(No need to suggest loads for me to try either - I don't have time to try loads of new muds out these days).

It's nothing to do with the codebase as such. Its just that all of the DIKU muds I have tried had deathtraps to some degree. Its pretty much built into the driver - and its dead easy for builders to add.

Either you lose all your eq, or you die, or both. In one case they made it so they didn't actually kill you - so you just wondered into one and then recalled out (like that makes sense - you fall down a cliff, splat you die - recall).

DIKU and LPC (or any other varient you choose), in all you can do silly things like that - but DIKU's are the only ones I have seen with it built in and used as such a common feature.

The simple fact that someone can say deathtraps and everyone knows what they mean should prove that.
enigma@zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote