View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 AM   #20
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Question

Even for an area that is almost entirely the same it is worth taking the time to differentiate between rooms. There are many ways to say the same thing.

"A strong grassy smell pervades the air, emenating from the lush grass"

"The lush grasses carpeting the area give rise to a strong grassy odour"

"Verdant grass covers the area releasing it's grassy perfume into the air"

Three snetances, all saying the exact same thing, now the english purists may get upset at me for poor sentences, but it illustrates my point. You can reuse descriptions without copying. Then you can rearrange the order in which you mention the items in the rooms, and you can have  varying items to describe, ie:

On a cobbled road accross a grassy plain, you can have info on:
1) The road, (what is is doing? is it flat, meandering as if the road designer was drunk; What is it made of? cobbles, dirt, stone, bitumen, weird alien non-slip glass; What does it look like? bright yellow, dull grey, dusty, broken...)
2) The grass on the plain, (What does it look like? thick dark green strands, tall skinny yellowish stalks, jagged black daggers of plant life; How big is it? again, tall, towering, clipped, each blade a meter wide; What does it smell like? green, chaff, rotting meat; Is it waving in the wind? <- this should possibly be avoided incase your weather system, says it is totaly calm, but it is a very very rare situation, for there to be no wind at all on a generally flat open area)
3) The plain itself, (Is it dead flat, rolling small hills, broken up by rocks/trees/bare dirt?)
4) The view, what is on the horizons

and each of these (and more) can have multiple facets to describe, by varying what is described, and the sentence structure and content, you can keep the impression of "sameness" without needing to duplicate unnecessarily.

Just my 2c anyway
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote