Thread: Varied Areas
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2002, 04:11 PM   #19
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
To answer the question how I can make an area based off the inspiration of color:

I live in New England, which is famous for its autumn colors. You could look at a dozen leaves and never see the same exact shade repeated in any square inch. If I'm working on a swamp area, I might imagine the swamp in my mind..it's wet, but also has thick air, murky or even brackish water...and the color scheme would be all sorts of shades of browns and grays, with a touch of deep orange for spice. Every room would reflect the colorscheme, and every object I build would be based off that set of colors.

So a single tree rising out of the swamp in room #24 might become an sinewy umber shadow ascending from the murky depths. Mossy tendrils of earthy brown hues twist and turn off crooked branches, swaying like the gown of a ghostly woman reaching for her lover.

That says Swamp to me.

Then over on the hilltops, it's crisp, pristine..that's kelly green, pine green, and pure white, with jet black shadows for contrast. Instead of asking, "what does a hill look like?" I ask myself, "what does green look like?" "What will make me shiver with cold here?" And the writing flows pretty easily that way.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote