View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Looking for Suggestions

Okay, well, here's my best advice. From a developing standpoint: really know what you want to do before you satart. It depends on what your plan is. Whether you want players or don't really care and are just doing it as a hobby can make a huge difference in your endeavors of doing a MUD. If you're going to code it yourself, I highly recommend looking at what is out there already.

I don't see anybody doing anything better than the stock DIKU that is already a simple, customizable base. Or Naked MUD, or Argila, or.. well there's tons of codebases out there and unless you have the skill and energy of a Kavir to code your own base, it's going to be a lot harder than you think. The genre you develop will depend as well because you need to build a lively world with objects, npcs, and rooms. Like I wrote before if you know exactly what you want to do before hand you will save yourself tons of headaches in the future. For example, the type of mud it is will greatly depend on the type of builders you look for.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote