View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
Vesper

Vesper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vesper
Re: Avoiding mistakes in char gen/early game

And that's where we differ, Kavir. How could anything in character creation be a "penalty?" The majority of it is personal preference utilizing knowledge you've gained from playing other MUDs or it's so radically different that that knowledge doesn't apply (different codebase, for example) or you're brand spankin new to MUDding altogether so it doesn't matter what you do.

And if the MUD you're playing is a helpful MUD, which it would be if you created a character and somebody tells you "Hey, you should max out WIS at creation"...then how difficult is it, if you're level 1 or 2 or just new if it's a leveless mud...to delete and do it again in 30 seconds?

Now if you're level 40 in a 100 level MUD, you may or may not quit and do over. But I'm willing to bet that if you're dedicated enough to progress to level 40, that you actually enjoy the game. Which, to me means, you're making another character anyway. If you rolled a 15 WIS instead of an 18? You may gain 4 pracs instead of 5...and when gained and converted, does not add up to a lot extra HP in most MUDs. That's just as an example, anyway. If you are more unhappy with your 15 WIS then you are happy playing the game, you probably shouldn't be playing there...the whole environment, all the building, RP, storylines in place, etc...don't mean anything if you not maxing out one stat at char gen can ruin the whole thing for you. That's just neurotic!

As for your MUD and changing anything but your name whenever you want, that's unique. The larger majority of MUDs don't offer such a generous bonus. If I was a PK'er (don't know how your system works), hell, I'd change my stats according to what class I wanted to PK. If I see I'm going up against a mage, and the INT stat gives me good saves, I'd change it on a whim to raise my INT and go kick the crap out of the mage.

Yes, that's true. Heavy development means that they are either not even in beta or just barely in beta phase. And every game I've ever played in beta had a disclaimer that it's in beta and things will be constantly changing...which is the point of beta...so you wouldn't stick with the character you created during a testing stage most likely...or there will be a p-wipe prior to official opening...or both...

Well, two things on this:
One, nobody is forcing anyone to restart. Again, that is all personal preference. Either you can live with it or without it. And it honestly can't be a mistake if you don't know anything about the game. That's the whole point of creating a character and playing for the first time...to see if you like the game. I know you disagreed with me, but I'll say it again...your first character will never, ever, ever in the history of MUDding be as good as your second character...no matter how many tips you give at creation. UNLESS...you offer a step-by-step guide of what stats to take for what class, where to level, where not to level, what areas are traps and will cause you lose EXP, what MOBs are vulnerable to what weapons, how to get these weapons, etc...a walkthrough, if you will. At which point, it's not a game anymore. And then, and only then, can it be called a mistake...because you ignored the "walkthrough' given at char gen.

Two, I wasn't speaking about seasoned players. Changes that nerf seasoned players suck and I agree with you on that point. A MUD administrator shouldn't base his leveling system on such things as, say the higher the DEX you have, the less you'll be hit...and then changes it so DEX doesn't really affect anything anymore. Then we have the thief who max'ed out DEX 2 years ago saying WTF? At which point, that wasn't a mistake either, because the thief knew to MAX out DEX and the Admin just royally screwed him.

Last edited by Vesper : 06-10-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote