View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: The first hurdle of opening.

I'd say an important thing to do would be to have an initial core, even if it's just people you know. When I began working on my latest project, the very first thing I did, before any coding, starting up an account, or putting up the first flier was simple. I wrote something of a , distributed it to a few friends and monitored the reaction. Namely I looked for responses of, "I would play that!" or, from several, "So you want some help?" After receiving plenty of those kinds of replies, I decided to go ahead.

What advantages did I gain from this?
* I had a core of enthusiasts before work began, which helped me get through my 'blah' moments of coding.
* I had a small community already existing when I opened for the first run of beta testing. This helped prevent 'there's only the staff on!' syndrome for many guests when they come in.
* I have players I trust to break things and tell me about it, meaning I can focus more on improving things than policing.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 players right now, 10 days after RP began. So I figure I got the ball rolling /somehow/.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote