View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #33
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's try this again...RP MUD

It's a very tough balance to find. (If anybody finds it, tell me the mud right away!)

A serious roleplaying mud, where players affect things and can get ahead through all kinds of interaction and socializing, but a casual mud where you don't have to be online all day doing this to really be involved, important, and advance.

My biggest problems have been finding decent rp muds, but being a real world person with a real world life and not having the time to play 12 hours a day. So I'm never around for all the big deal special events, and my characters never become important or influential. I just level up in silence, have some mundane chatty rp with a few people I come across, and never amount to anything. All of the influential roles are always eaten up by the people who are online all day long.

I used to be okay just being a regular joe who's around on some weekends, or maybe at odd hours during the week, who dropped in for some casual rp and gaming, but more and more, the better known rp muds have started unconsciously treating these casual players like second-class citizens. Not intentional or overt exclusion, just little things, like not sticking around to rp with that guy you only see once a week because you know it won't really go anywhere and you want to find one of those guys who's online for 12 hours a day like you are to go do something. People don't want to just rp and have fun any more. They want to work hard to build characters that get somewhere and maximize their gains while online. Seriously, get a job! You can get paid for working that hard. I've relegated myself to just playing casual muds with a limited rp scene and making my own rp with interested players that happen along.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote