Thread: Character Ages?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #19
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
I'm sure it doesn't really matter to you, but I agree with Caralyn, Delerak. You appear (note the word "appear") to be very narrow minded, and it's frightening to be in a room full of people that can only go in one direction or stop.

Tolkien, R. Jordan, Phillip Jose Farmer, or any other writers, none of them matter. The key to imagination is setting everything you know to the back of your mind, where it can influence your ideas but not rule them. In many ways, everyone who has an imagination is a writer. Not everyone has sold a book, but what does that matter? Not everyone wants to. Does that make them better or worse than the almighty Tolkien? Heck no. It makes them either less lucky (because luck has much to do with professional writing), uninterested, or just plain different.

Don't have any idea how a character with a certain trait would act? Make something up. It all starts that way. Then people after you say, "Wait, this doesn't make sense, why would a <blah> act this way?", and gradually, it changes for the better. What you make up may be horribly inaccurate in the eyes of other people. But at least you attempted it, and now that you have, other people will. Intelligent, non-hominid species have never graced our presence in "reality", but people have still made up personalities for dragons.

Now I understand the whole stubborness thing. It's useful to be stubborn in mind. But it is exceedingly harmful when you cannot let your mind be changed. No one person's effects on the world are better or worse than another when they are born. But as you grow older, everyone's world neutralizes at one point, and this can be seen as fate. Each person's contributions and detriments to the world can be seen as a waveform that dips and rises in unexpected places. Choose where you will be stubborn, Delerak, and you can choose where that wave rises and falls.

I don't know you, Delerak, but on the other hand, I do. The mirror you display to the world cannot show all of you, but it can show some. Know that I only wish for your well being, and that any offense is unintended.

By the way, so that I'm not completely off-topic, I like to play younger teens, 12-15, young adults, 20 to 28, and old people who are more active than usual. I particularly like the ages that are generally associated with transition, and personal struggle.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote