View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 02:26 AM   #5
colavina

colavina is on a distinguished road
Re: Lament: the Age of Wind and Wolves open for testing

I've been playing off and on now for a while. It has very robust software compared to any of the other games I've experienced. The interface is different from most other MUDs in my past however, and takes a bit of getting used to. The help files are superior-- far superior-- to most MUDs I've known.

The game world has a vast amount of "cookie cutter" landscapes, duplicate mountains, hills, forests, swamps etc. The designers may well have overdone this aspect of the game, with vast amounts of territory with little or nothing to discover in it. Scattered across this vast landscape are however, a variety of smaller areas that contain hints about the world-background of the broadly medieval theme. Additionally there are two main continents each with their own larger town with a variety of shops. 99% of play takes place not far from those two towns.

Four sentient species are available to play, but they are a minor factor, as skill development and specialization are not limited by species. Crafting is an important part of the game, and highly developed, but the coding to accomplish most tasks can be time consuming-- excessively so. It's the kind of game were you'll wish to multi-task. That being said, skill development is challenging; for crafters and hunters alike. The game has been quiet during my tenure, with at most five players on at once. There is certainly room for more.

Visually disabled players will find not only comrades but also extensive efforts to accommodate their needs.

By far my biggest frustration is that the vast majority of rooms automatically clear of player left contents after a mere 30 minutes of not being occupied by a PC. Players can store items in an expensive tent, or make a single room "sticky" with a time consuming stone cairn, but accidentally leaving one's container or weapon in a room when a free hand is required for butchering or gathering is severely and quickly punished.

Last edited by colavina : 05-19-2022 at 10:56 AM.
colavina is offline   Reply With Quote