Thread: Moderation
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #43
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

As a trivial example a moderator might delete all messages as well, which wouldn't be very constructive either.

As a more practical example I could point out that some of the most knowledgeable users aren't the most well behaved users either.

The idea seems to be that by pruning the rude, impolite, inconsiderate, and otherwise obstructive users, some kind of Utopian community can be created. While I don't disagree that this is in theory possible, I doubt the selection criteria that are being used. Not to mention that both the argumentation and scientific proof for the claims are lacking. The entire thing is very pseudo-scientific and borderline psychotic.

Looking at it from a historical perspective dictatorships rarely work, especially when the big dictators assigns little dictator to share the load of oppressing the masses.

I must add that having grown up in a relatively free and democratic society it remains extremely exciting and refreshing to experience primitive human behavior carried out with great dedication and vigor in the virtual flesh.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote