View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
noodles

noodles is on a distinguished road
Re: Engaging Players - Desgining Group Contests

On first impression, this sounds more than a little bit fruity. But on reflection, considering all verbs to be a possible form of communication, seems like a really interesting prospect.

If you were stabbing pete stealthily, then it might be an action you perform if you think you can get away with it. And by doing it obviously, you would be inferring to any bystanders that they would be in for a bit of a hiding, if they were to intervene. So it, adds nuances to verbs that were merely rough actions before.

Where did you get this idea from?

A situation I have seen described in the past, is an ideal response to an act of crime on a city street. A player attacks another player. Ideally, if there is someone nearby who might hear or see it, they may depending on their own situation or ethics decide to join in, or summon the city guards.

Let's say that the guards arrive and that both parties are dragged off to jail out of principal. They might then, decide to question nearby residents and bystanders, and ask if they remember you and what they remember. Cue the remembered actions of interest being communicated to the guards, and through those, their ability to reconcile what happened.

Hmm. I need to go away and think about this and some other stuff, as writing a command system is where I am at in my code base.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote