View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you look for in a mud?

That's not really much of an advocacy for a roleplay-accepted or roleplay-encouraged mud. Muds span all types because players span all types. I like advancing a character's levels and skills and moneys and titles and whatever else a mud offers. Sure, I prefer roleplaying, but I like a mud with neat gameplay features. A robust non-rp mud may be a complete waste of time to one player, and the funnest game ever to another. There are even players who think that roleplaying and playing make-believe is just stupid, but they're okay playing muds otherwise, as long as everyone logged in is on the same page about the mud being just a fun game without any of that rp garbage.

You're mostly anonymous on the internet. Really, wherever you go online, there are going to be occasional kids who just like to make a nuisance of themselves and try to make a big stink, roleplaying mud or otherwise. Whenever this happens, it is an absolute necessity that these people be 100% ignored. Act like you don't even see them. Whenever people are smart-alecky on public channels and gab about these types of people, and try to correct them and engage them in conversation, and the people in charge of the mud keep nuking them and they keep coming back, that's what they want. Nuisance players aren't trying to prove anything and don't need to be convinced of anything. They just want attention. They don't need policing. Policing is attention. The only solution is to act like they're not there and they get bored and wander off. I've never see a mud pull that off, though, because there are always idiot players who have to be smart-alecs whenever something they can talk about happens.

Same with attention mongers, on an rp mud or otherwise. There are always people who go, "Look at me! I'm typing emotes and making up an unfeasible situation centered around my character! If you don't react to me and cator to what I'm trying to start, you're not a real roleplayer, and this mud sucks!" But at least these people want to roleplay and are trying something. They'll get with the program or move on, as long as the rest of the players are all on the same page about roleplaying and the mud. On a non-rp mud, you get similar situations with the people who just chat all day on the game's channels, giving you a play by play of their undertakings every minute, like the gossip channel is their Twitter account. I don't care if your fireball just did 4413 damage to the blue dragon. I don't care if I made an Elf bard and that's a crappy class. I don't need a bunch of tells about how you already tried that with your last alt.

Sadly, the world's running out of good roleplaying muds mostly because mud players are slowly dwindling. It's old technology, and a mud gets more players as a whole if it's a lot looser about roleplaying. We're down to fewer than 10 elitist rp muds of any renown and size.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote