Thread: Graphic Maps
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 11:32 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You don't have to discuss coding issues, just design issues. However the idea of this forum is to discuss new directions (and advanced concepts) within muds. Many muds have maps on their webpage - so it doesn't really achieve much by just asking "are graphical maps a good or a bad idea?". Don't think in terms of what has been done - think in terms of what could be done.

Naming landmarks after players works, but I think it would be nice to expand the concept somewhat. For example, it would be nice to see "Skull mountain", then to click on it and see that it was named by Bubba the explorer, who found a pile of skulls lying skattered around there.

I'm not talking about paying real money - I'm talking about mud money. Maps were not cheap in the middle ages, and many people were not familiar with the world outside of their village. By connecting the mud account to the website account, you could allow the players of characters who had purchased maps in the game to view the graphical website map. You could even allow character who discovered new parts of the world to receive in-game royalties for each map sold. It would provide a major incentive for people to explore the unknown.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote